The eLearning Technologies Center, or ETC, has been designed and built in fulfillment of our eLearning technologies grant from the Meyer Memorial Trust. The rebuilt production facilities and purchased equipment have been specifically designated for use by faculty who are creating multimedia content for delivery in our Clark College Canvas LMS.
The ETC is capable of producing and supporting the following online deliverables or activities (support staff available on-site, with subsequent file processing for the most compatible delivery to your students in Canvas):
- Quality Screencasts – use Camtasia to capture your computer screen and voice in the private audio recording booth with a professional mic (document camera and direct-draw display also available); all post-recording file processing/streaming handled for you; recording with easy-to-use ScreenFlow for Mac is available by special request (contact Scott)
- Studio Lecture Captures – staff assisted video recordings of full lectures with studio lighting, wireless audio, dual wall mounted cameras, “Smart Classroom” lectern for instructor slide/image control, and blue screen walls that can be used for superimposing a background image
- Audio Recordings – fully equipped professional recording booth for producing either simple user operated recordings or eLearning staff assisted, professionally mixed recordings
- Various Multimedia Productions – studio floor furnishings can be rearranged for a variety of productions including photographic stills, activity demonstrations, guest speaker interviews… use your imagination
- Podcasts and Vodcasts – checkout a belt clip or arm band mounted iPod Touch for simple classroom audio recordings, or use its camera for video recordings to capture an activity outside the classroom
- Video Streaming – using the editing and processing tools in the eLab, we can upload your audio/video content to ETC’s private Amazon cloud, allowing efficient streamed delivery in Canvas (instead of downloads or DVDs), thus providing bandwidth scalability when large numbers of students are viewing all at once
- Virtual Meeting and Conferencing – also available is a specially equipped private ITV room which utilizes video teleconferencing equipment and/or Blackboard Collaborate (formerly Elluminate), allowing travel-free presence in distant meetings, group conferencing opportunities, or webinar attendance
The ETC consists of two main areas, the eStudio and the eLab, each with a smaller adjoining room for more focused activities. The chart below lays out the equipment and basic accommodations.
Final Cut Pro
Acrobat X Pro
Seating for 2
PC w/ webcam
Acrobat X Pro
Tablet draw software
Desk w/ 1 chair
|Wall mounted cameras
LED studio lighting
Videoconference – ITV
Seating for 6 to 8
Videoconference – ITV
Window wall (eStudio observation)
Seating for 4
All faculty who are creating multimedia content for teaching in our Canvas LMS are welcome, however, priority will be given to those teaching our online and hybrid (eLearning) credit courses. Services will include scheduled eLearning technical support staff as needed during production, with post-production file processing and uploading to the designated online repository. Also available now, for checkout to faculty teaching with Clark College Canvas, is the iPod Touch 4G (fully equipped for mobile lecture capture) and Logitech webcams.
It’s our hope that you’ll discover a new version of your performance art in the virtual classroom and we look forward to you visiting this creative space and its technologies soon!