LowDown on LockDown
As students taking quizzes and exams in Canvas, you might find yourself needing to use something called Respondus Lockdown Browser. Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser made specifically for taking online tests. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. When an instructor has set up an assessment requiring LockDown Browser, you will have to use that instead of your usual web browser. Once your exam is over, you should go back to using your standard browser because LockDown should not be used in other areas of Canvas.
If your quiz requires LockDown Browser, you’ll either need to take it on a campus lab machine that has it already installed or install it on your own computer to take the quiz. When you click on a quiz that requires it, you’ll be provided with the link to download and install LockDown Browser. Check the system requirements for LockDown Browser and follow the download page directions to obtain the correct installation program, for PC or Mac. You will probably need to turn off your antivirus temporarily while you run the LockDown Browser installation program. Onscreen instructions will be provided to help you complete the installation.
Once you have Lockdown Browser installed, you’ll need to follow these steps to take the quiz…
- Logout of Canvas and close all browsers and programs, unless one is used to connect to the internet.
- Locate the LockDown Browser shortcut on the desktop and double-click it (For Mac users, launch LockDown Browser from the Applications folder.)
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) choose Yes when prompted.
- Login to your Canvas course.
- Navigate to the quiz and select the Take a Quiz button.
- Once a quiz has been started with LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit Answers button is clicked.
If you have trouble downloading and installing Lockdown Browser, contact the TechHub for assistance. If you have issues while taking a test with LockDown Browser, contact your instructor and file a Canvas Help ticket by clicking Help and Report a Problem while looking at the quiz where you’re experiencing the issue. In your ticket, be sure to provide us with as much detail as you can.